(Watchdog: A person who investigates and reports on things for other citizens in order to arouse them from complacency.)
25. The ever-increasing size of SUV monster truck-cars is a problem that is out of control. Drivers of these vehicles have an unfair advantage in accidents. If the vehicle is longer and higher than a standard 4-door car, drivers should have to prove they have a "need" for such a dangerous "weapon"... and take a rigorous licensing test.
24. Reno Gazette business reporter-editorializer, John Stearns, writes articles that are well researched, close to being on the mark, but are almost always punctuated with some sort of comment defending the self-serving agendas of the fat cat Special Interests.
He recently commented (or was it "reported") that: "... (Sam) Dehne's delivery sometimes leaves a lot to be desired..."
He probably must have meant to say that: "The fat cats think that the content of Dehne's delivery sometimes leaves a lot to be desired..."
He is a clever writer... The bowling stadium investment (by RSCVA) was a gutter ball...
23. A basic starting rule for all govt workers who handle citizens' money (taxes): Spend it the way they would spend it... as if it were their own money (that they had to work for). With this concept firmly inculcated into their brains, subsequent decisions have a slightly better chance of being safe from fraud, waste, and abuse...
22. So what if Reno gave a Convention and nobody came? Most citizens who own homes in Southeast and Southwest Reno would rejoice. What authority gives the RSCVA the right to reek havoc upon entire neighborhoods with its ignorant numskull decisions... that perpetrate cancerous growth with no analysis of the horrible negative impacts? Up and down Virginia, Moana, McCarran, Peckham Streets it looks like a devastated refuge evacuation zone. Double trailer 18 wheelers tearing up the streets and diesel vehicles of all shapes and sizes polluting the air hour after hour. Atlantis saloon construction chaos blocking off streets and blasting dirt into the air that citizens have to breathe!
21. When flight after flight is added at the Reno Airport, nothing is ever said about the cost to 10,000s of nearby residents who lose sleep due to the all-day, all-night shriek and thunder of jet engines. What about the lower property values for suburban Reno and Sparks homeowners in in the airliners' flight path? And what about the destruction of entire neighborhoods?
20. The Washoe county commission is getting ready to create its own Community Relations (propaganda) machine. How long until it grows to the size of the $$$million dollar behemoths that Reno city hall and the Reno Airport have? At the instant of creation it will (already) have 3 people and an unknown budget... thus far focusing around some smoke and mirrors bean shuffling.
19. The Juvenile Justice Blue Ribbon task force wants a larger facility to hold minor offenders - to replace Whittenberg Hall. Where to get the money? There is a simple solution. Go to the culprits who are creating the need for a bigger building. The developers, the casinos, the businesses. They are what is bringing more kids to the area. They are called "Impact Fees"... to pay for negative aspects that are attached to cancerous growth policies... the need for more police, road repair, fire and police protection, jail space... and space for juvenile delinquents. "Incarceration" is becoming one of the biggest businesses in Northern Nevada.